AODV/OLSR on ORBIT
The aim of this effort is to run the AODV routing protocol for an Ad-hoc network of arbitrary topology on ORBIT. The topology of the Ad-hoc network can be provided by the experimenter or one can use from a set of available topologies.
The demo below shows how to run and AODV on a minimal Ad-hoc network of three nodes.
The nodes to be used in the network must be imaged with adhoc_0.1.ndz. This image has AODV-UU-0.9.1 installed. It also contains the mackill module. This module is used to emulate an Ad-hoc network by supressing packets from desired nodes. This image also contains the modified madwifi-0.9.2 driver with the BSSID problem solved.
imageNodes <node list> adhoc_0.1.ndz
Network creation - using Mackill
Mackill is a MAC filter wich is used to emulate Ad-hoc network topologies on ORBIT. The mackill module creates a mackill file in /proc/net on each node. The nodes which should not be heard are specified in this file. This is done by echoing the MAC addresses of such nodes into this file. To add a MAC address to mackill,
echo - <MAC address> > /proc/net/mackill
To remove a node from this list,
echo + <MAC address> > /proc/net/mackill
AODV can be run as a module on a node using,
aodvd -l -r <# of seconds>
The -l option enables logging of all events to /var/net/aodvd.log and -r enables logging of the routing tables to /var/net/aodvd.rtlog.
Easiest way of running OLSR is by executing:
on the nodes.
To use AODV to run experiments on ORBIT:
- Image nodes as per the topology required.
- Emulate the topology using mackill on each node to block packets from non-neighbouring nodes.
- Run AODV on each node.
- Use ping or iperf for experiments on the Ad-hoc network and to perform any measurements required.
The ongoing effort to integrate AODV involves automation of mackill so that the experimenter can provide the network topology in a file and create it on ORBIT without having to manually modify /proc/net/mackill on each node.
- http://core.it.uu.se/core/index.php/AODV-UU - AODV Uppasala University implementation
- http://www.docs.uu.se/docs/research/projects/scanet/aodv/aodvuu.shtml - Mackill (scroll to the middle section - this is from the old AODV-UU site)